Thursday, June 24, 2010

Fool on the Hill

Did you ever have that thing, that one something that made you feel immortal? Something that stimulated your imagination and no matter what let you feel like everything was going to be ok- no, that everything was going to be PERFECT from now on. The memory fades if left alone too long but then you can always come back and it always welcomes you with open arms and a smile and holds you and strokes your hair as it says "Listen, just listen to me and you'll see how beautiful things are again." And for the rest of the day, you're on a cloud. Floating, reveling in the joy and bliss of life in the simplest way because it has always been this simple, you just forgot.

Mine is Fool on the Hill by Matt Ruff. I read this book about a year ago. Read it in about one day, soaked it all in like a plant with soil dry as sand and I have loved it ever since.

Last term there was some crappy stuff going on and my book was lent to my ex-boyfriend in what seemed to be a last-ditch effort to connect with me. He kept it the entire term and I just got it back. Now, I'm not a big re-reader of books- not that I'm opposed to the idea, in fact I think I'd enjoy it, I just never have- except for this one. This one I read again. Just open up to a part and go and, no matter what, the words and those people and that unshakeable sense of magic tingling, tangible in the air will bring me right back to the very top of the world.

I just wish I'd had this book last term. I needed some magic then, but better late than never. Welcome back, my friend. I missed you.

No comments:

Post a Comment